Oropi School

School ShopNewslettersCalendar

Oropi School Board of Trustees

Grant Marshall
Mark Weston (Chairman)
James Tipping
Lynn Rupe
Ryan Kilfoil
Heather Salmons
Andrew King - Principal
Pat Wheeldon - Staff Representative

Grant Marshall

What skills do you bring to the Board of Trustees?
Experience over the past six years of being on the Board at Oropi school, Educational experience 
 20 years as a secondary teacher, coach and as a leader of learning for the last 10 years at Tauranga Boys College. Board chair for the last 3 years.

Where do you see Oropi School in 3 years’ time?
Continuing to move from strength to strength. Enjoying the upgrade around buildings and realising the outcome/s of the vision and mission statements of the school through the young people who move on from Oropi School.

What do you hope to learn from being on the Board of Trustees?
The interface between governance and management.

What do you do in your spare time?
Skiing, Mountain Biking, Backyard cricket, Badminton,  Coach junior rugby and watch our kids swim and Junior surf

James Tipping

I've got a number-crunching background, but now work on strategy development and regulatory/policy change.  I like bringing in as many perspectives as I can to help make big decisions.  

Where do you see Oropi School in 3 years’ time?
Oropi School is already amazing, and in 3 years it will be even better.  I see it reaching a new level of stability in terms of numbers, the kids thriving and being catered for individually, and maintaining the strong connection with the rural environment and community.

I'm keen to find out new ways I can use my skills to serve the school and community.  I want to learn more about the education sector, how the process of learning works and how we can work best with the Ministry of Education.  

What do you do in your spare time?
In the summer my wife, three kids (Sam - 7, Ollie - 5 and Annabel - 1) and I spend as many hours as we can at the beach, and I try and get our for a round of golf one evening a week if I can (and daylight allows).  I'm a big fan of all sports and love to watch sport live and be outside running around with the kids.  I love giving the kids new opportunities and adventures, and taking them to new places to broaden their perspectives.

Lynn Rupe

I have had many year experience in education including early childhood, primary school and as a professional learning facilitator for teachers.  I also have management skills through my previous position of centre manager of a childcare.  During this time I was responsible for 20 staff and a roll of 70 children.

I see Oropi School continuing to stay current with teaching and learning practices that enhance learning for all students.   Over the next three years I see that the culture and rural uniqueness of the school needs to be protected and enhanced making it a leading light in education within the rural and wider Tauranga area.

I hope to grow in knowledge of school governance and management and to strengthen my knowledge of the roles and responsibilities within the Board.

What do you do in your spare time?
I enjoy reading, walking, swimming and most of all time with my whānau.  Living in the Bay means spare time is often spent outdoors somewhere.

Heather Salmons

What skills do you bring to the BOT?
I am a trained physiotherapist with experience in training and managing other staff.  For the last eight years I have been a stay at home mum raising our four kids, during this time I have been actively involved in several non-profit organizations, including roles in accounting and in governance at a regional level.

Where do you see Oropi School in three years time?
I see Oropi School continuing to have a strong community focus offering good quality learning opportunities to all students.  I believe it will continue to offer a rural school experience where children gain a sense of excitement about learning and where they are prepared well for their future education.

What do you hope to learn from being on the BOT?
More skills in governance specific to education and the best ways to support our management team.

What do you do in your spare time?
Spare time is a bit of a rarity in our house, but I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen, getting out and active in New Zealand’s ‘backyard’ with our family, and occasionally finding some time to explore my creative side with painting and drawing.

Ryan Kilfoil

As a passionate 'connector', I believe I bring good communication skills, previous governance experience, marketing & advertising experience. Also the ability to work as a team, encourage & still ask questions that challenge the status quo.

Where do you see Oropi School in 3 years’ time
I'd love to see the school even more connected with the community. For Oropi school to continue to encourage growth for leaners & teachers alike. If we're not growing - we're dying :)

M
ore about our community, about how school governance works & the impact a school has on the community.

What do you do in your spare time?
Travel, family outings, read, listen to music, play drums & guitar, entertain & more recently, help covert our garage to a self-contained unit!

Mark Weston (Chairman)

A solid accounting and auditing background, this enables me to have an objective and analytical approach to problem solving. I have a strong sense of community spirit, this will always be in the back of my mind in my new role of governance and how I approach any issues I am faced with, the students, school and community are what must come first.

Where do you see Oropi School in 3 years’ time?
As one of the best rural schools in the area, current roll growth is already testament to its popularity.
I would like to see the school become a pioneer for its play based learning and inquiry philosophy. I would also like to see the "gully” used to its full potential, it is unique to Oropi School and must be developed for the benefit of our students.

I hope to gain a better understanding of how the education system works from behind the scenes, it appears to be such a complicated area so it will be interesting to see what makes it tick, and how governance has a hand in aiding the teachers and principal towards a common goal of success in the form of well-rounded, confident, educated children.

What do you do in your spare time?
Family time is important to me, I love fishing, hunting and the outdoors and sharing these experiences with the kids. I also enjoy being a volunteer rural firefighter, this gives me a new skill set and better work stories, accounting is not exactly that exciting!