Oropi School

School ShopNewslettersEnrol NowCalendar

Oropi School Board of Trustees

Mark Weston (Chairman)

Heather Salmons

Ryan Kilfoil

Andrew Dishroon

Rachel Dell
Andrew King - Principal
Robert Lewis - Staff Representative

Mark Weston

What skills do you bring to the Board of Trustees?

I bring a solid accounting and auditing background and strong community spirit, my passion at work is auditing within the charitable not-for-profit sectors to help them achieve their goals and aspirations, it’s these skills that I hope to bring to the table during my next 3 years as a trustee of the school.

Where do you see Oropi School in 3 years’ time
To be a continuing leader of its play-based learning philosophy and rolling this out schoolwide so that all students can benefit from this awesome way of learning. I also want to see Oropi School maintain and build upon its ties to the local community and Iwi, if these ties are strong then together, we can create something special.

What do you hope to learn from being on the Board of Trustees?

To further my skills within the role of governance and the education system and transfer these in a positive and constructive way during board meetings to help achieve our common goals for the best of the school and the amazing students who attend Oropi School.

What do you do in your spare time?

Family is most important to me so spending this time with them travelling and sharing different experiences together is what really floats my boat!

Heather Salmons

I have been an active member of the Oropi School and wider community for the past six years while my children have been attending both the school and playgroup and am actively involved as a school parent on a day to day basis. This bring a strong awareness of the community I am representing. I have been on the Oropi School board for the last three years, which puts me on a good footing to assist with the board’s activities looking forward. Previously I have been involved in several non-profit organizations, including roles in accounting and in governance at a regional level so have a sound understanding of the role required by a board member.

Where do you see Oropi School in 3 years’ time?

I see Oropi School continuing to have a strong community focus offering good quality learning opportunities to all students.  Our play-based philosophy will be entrenched in our whole school learning and all our children will be fully engaged in our discovery learning program. Our additional programmes such as languages and garden to table will continue to build throughout the school.  

To continue to grow my knowledge of governance and how to best support the management team.

What do you do in your spare time?

With my youngest child starting school this year, I have found more time to renovate our family home along with helping out with our family business.  I enjoy playing netball and exploring all the fantastic bushwalks our region has on offer.  I also enjoy time in the kitchen and growing our own food in the garden.  

Ryan Kilfoil

Being a trustee for another term means that I can build on the things I've learnt over the last 3 years. I have a passion for learning and problem solving. As an entrepreneur I enjoy challenging the status quo & finding new ways to overcome obstacles. I value clear communication and transparency.

I'd love to see the school even more connected with the local community. For Oropi school to continue to encourage growth for leaners & teachers alike. 

More about our community, about how school governance works & the impact a school has on the community and vice-versa.

What do you do in your spare time?

Travel, family outings, reading, listen to music, playing drums & guitar, and there's always something that needs fixing around the property!

Andrew Dishroon

I come to the board with a sales background starting from humble retail right through to high end sales of cars and real estate. This has helped my ability to relate with all types of people, young and old from all types of cultural backgrounds. Now days I specialise in pastoral care of people in our community who need physical and emotional support. I would like to bring a level of support for our teachers and staff that helps them do their job to the best of their ability, when they win, our kids win!

Where do you see Oropi School in 3 years’ time?

I see a community of caring for one another where kids are encouraged to be all they can be, kids encourage their peers and staff are encouraged in their work and given the support they need to to meet education and social demands.

I want to learn how to carry the weight and responsibility that governance puts on you, while maintaining the mindset of how does this policy or how does this decision benefit people’s lives. 

What do you do in your spare time?

In summer I love to get out on the boat and take the kids wake-boarding/biscuiting. In winter I like to take the kids for bike rides, and I enjoy co-coaching the Oropi Kings basketball team and when I can, I get out and shoot some hoops myself.

Rachel Dell

I bring a range of skills including strategic planning, project management and governance, business analysis, communications and marketing. I have experience in the corporate sector, local government and tertiary education.

I see Oropi School with a stronger sense of community with students and families - where all students reach their best academic achievement.  Strengths and characteristics are nurtured and developed, and a range of learning opportunities are available to all students.   

How to support our school management and teachers to excel for themselves and our students.  

What do you do in your spare time?

I love spending time with Gregg, Elena and Jonathan on land or on the water.  There is always something to do around the property. I am a hobbiest beekeeper.  I enjoy keeping fit with running and swimming.  Any other spare time I might have had has been given up as I undertake a Master of Health Leadership.